Heat it Up

Wow, how has it been a month since I last blogged. Yikes.

I'm all for heat. For whatever reason, I like extreme weather as much as a nice, mild 65-degree day. When it's cold, I want it to be cold. I once walked across my college campus when the temperature, not the wind chill, was -12. And I liked it.

So this week, we've finally hit the time of year when the South turns into the South. I mean that in terms of summertime weather. It's going to be 97 here today. And, to me, the only thing that could be better would be 98.

Sure, it's roasting. And you need to drink fluids every 10 minutes or risk dehydration. But, for me, the heat defines summer. It was always roasting in Philadelphia growing up. Without fail, it was roasting in NYC. In fact, NYC often gets hotter than it does here (gotta love the heat island effect).

But the heat is conducive to a number of things, such as:

  • Laying out in the sun - I mean, if you sweat just by going outside, might as well sit as still as possible.
  • Drinking - Hot weather requires cold beverages
  • Eating - Grilling out over a 400-degree fire makes 95 degrees outside seem cool.
  • Wearing very little - Sure, winter layers are nice, but right now, you can get away with wearing as little as you feel comfortable with. And really, I don't care what anyone says, we all prefer fewer articles of clothing.
  • Turning your house into an icebox - When it's 97, my 72-degree house feels like a damn freezer. That's outstanding.
And then there are idiots like me who believe there is nothing better than doing lawn work when its ridiculously hot. I mean, sure, it's easier when it's 70 degrees outside. But it's more fulfilling on days like we're going to have this weekend (though I think I will hold off on the lawn until tomorrow when it cools down to 92).

Comments

Clothes Karma said…
It's that damn humidity that drives me mad. I could deal with 97 degrees of dry heat.
Mary said…
Good attitude.

I like the heat, too. I don't like the cold because it can be painful.

Popular posts from this blog

Tune Day: One or the Other

Spanish for "The Meadows?"

Unapologetic rant against Counting Crows