Oldies anyone?

Some days, when I want to feel old, I don't think about how I just turned 30.

I think how Pearl Jam is preparing for it's 20-year anniversary in 2011. (I have to admit, I am going to get that version of Ten that includes "Brother." This has to happen.)

Anyhow, it's hard for me to believe that my teeny-bopper days are that far gone. And then today, I come to this story.

The basics: the baby who was swimming naked on the cover of Nirvana's Nevermind? That dude is 17! And apparently making money off his album cover notoriety.

What troubled me more about this particular story, though, was this atrociously-written lead, which wants, very badly, to be clever:

"All apologies, but here we are now, 17 years after Nirvana's breakthrough album irreversibly changed music, and the naked baby pictured on its cover is still chasing dollars."

See that? See how the writer worked not one but TWO Nirvana song references into the lead? If he had stuck with one, I might not be pointing this out, but here, the writer doth protest too much.

Anyhow, I suppose this is what I have to start facing... the athletes I cheer for, for the most part, are all younger than me. I can handle that. I don't want to watch a bunch of fogies out there trying to run the ball for a first down.

But, it's more this idea that my music (by that I mean the stuff I was stupid about in high school) is starting to show up on the classic rock stations. Driving outside of Philadelphia yesterday, I saw a billboard for Philly's 94 WYSP. Growing up, this was the place to hear your 1970s metal.

Now, it's "The Music You Grew Up With." Featured on the billboard? Pearl Jam. In protest I listed to XM/Sirius and the sounds of The Ting Tings, Death cab and more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tune Day: One or the Other

Spanish for "The Meadows?"

Unapologetic rant against Counting Crows