Good Music in Odd Places

We all know the radio is generally terrifying. Rappers using the Autotune song after song on one station, Nickelback on another and some station that is "great to listen to in the office."

Needless to say I am wary of music once I leave the house or the comfort of my iPod.

Lately, though, I've been finding quality tunes in places I wouldn't expect, for instance:

  • Airside "F" at Tampa International Airport - It's like they have some classic alternative station rolling right there in the terminal. The past few times I've been in there, it's been a hit parade: Weezer, Nirvana, Spacehog, Guster... waiting for my plane has never been so pleasant.
  • The Mall - This is completely counterintuitive. But in the Gap today I heard Bloc Party. In Aerie (of all places) I heard Franz Ferdinand. And here in American Eagle we heard, The Cure, Matt Pond PA, Kurtis Blow and Shiny Toy Guns consecutively. If these kids would hang up their cell phones, they might hear some good stuff here and there.
  • The Supermarket - I'll be in the baking aisle and then suddenly hear, not making this up, Radiohead. This isn't at Trader Joe's, either. This is at our local yuppie chain.
Maybe I'm just getting to that age where stores and other places where money is spent will just play stuff I like to put me in a good mood, thus making me more able to talk myself into buying things.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tune Day: One or the Other

Spanish for "The Meadows?"

Unapologetic rant against Counting Crows